Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Testimony Tuesday (in the making)

I know, I know, I've been slacking the last couple of Tuesdays. First, I was busy packing and then I was busy unpacking. But, hopefully, I'm back for another successful run of testimonies. So far, I've really enjoyed getting some memories of God's goodness "written down" for me to always refer back to. I'm so thankful for the evidence of God's hand at work in my own life that I should be able to gather some hope from within myself anytime I'm feeling down.

Today, I'm going to share a statement that Pastor Mike made several weeks ago. On Wednesday nights, we've been having a more classroom like service downstairs in the fellowship hall. We've got folders with handouts to fill in as Pastor Mike and Nancy do the teaching. Afterwards, we go upstairs for a time of corporate prayer, which is always powerful. Anyway, awhile back, Pastor Mike said something that has really stuck with me (though I still need some work on it.) He was talking about giving tips for services and said that Pastor Nancy and himself always give at least 20%. Here's the catch...even if the service is poor.

Now, I'll grudingly admit that I'm not the most generous person I know. If you ask Jason, he might tell you I'm not the greatest tipper. I guess I'd say I'm average. If a waiter/waitress is doing his job, I'll leave an average tip. If they're exceptional, I'll leave more, and if they provide poor service, you'll probably catch me leaving less of a tip. It seems fair, doesn't it? Well, I thought so until Pastor Mike explained his method. He told us that he never wants to miss out on an opportunity to be a blessing in someone else's life. As Christians, I feel like we're called to do this. God blesses us because He loves us, not because we've worked for it. We're called to walk in God's love, and we can do that by extending blessings, even undeserved ones, to others. I've probably received countless blessings that I would've missed out on had God been judging my work. So, this is an area I'm going to work on.

We haven't eaten out at many sit down restaurants since Claira has been born, but I know that's bound to change in the near future, and I'm going to do my best to stop judging the performance of our servers. Perhaps our overall experience will be instantly more enjoyable if I do. And, I absolutely believe that you reap what you sow. In turn, this testimony is in the making...as I am able to bless more abundantly, I believe more abundant blessing will come to my family. Bring on the blessings!

No comments: