Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Lost Manners

The first words out of Elsie's mouth this morning were, "I want fruit snacks." My response was, "Good morning, sweet pie. It's time for breakfast, not snacks." So, she had a bagel and shared a banana with me instead. All was fine. About 30 minutes before lunch, she asked for fruit snacks again. So, I told her that she could have some after lunch if she ate all of her food. After lunch, the fruit snacks were forgotten, and I wasn't about to remind her. When she woke up from her nap, she requested them again. Usually, I don't allow snacks between naptime and dinner because she ends up not eating well. But, I made an exception and told her to ask daddy for some. Well, she told him what she wanted rather than using her manners so Jason reminded her to use them. She responded with a hissyfit. We ignored her. So, she sat on the kitchen floor looking at books for about 20 minutes. When she came back into the living room, she walked over to me.

Elsie- "Mommy, I find my manners!"
Mommy- "You did? Hallelujah! Go tell Daddy what you found."
Elsie- "Okay. Daddy! I find my manners!"
Daddy- "Praise God! Where were they hiding? Behind your ears?"
Elsie- "No, it was beside the lettuce."

Where do kids come up with this stuff?

No comments: